Starting a new style of Yoga today, goodbye Ashtanga, hello Vinyasa flow!
This new style is all about flowing through positions/poses, one breath per movement while in a heated room. Music is often involved as well, something that really motivates me personally!
This is the yoga style you want if you like to sweat, like buckets of sweat everywhere that turn into an ocean and washes you away in waves of pure agonizing bliss…okay maybe not exactly, but it can definitely kick your ass! In an amazing way :D
There are essentially 6 “doorways” the need to be traveled through during a 60 minute session.
- Creating a sacred space - becoming aware of your breath and body.
- Igniting the spirit - awakening the power of breath on as many levels as possible, starting to warm up the body.
- Lighting the fire - starting to build heat in the body with A, B & C sun salutations. Cody tells us “make people want to leave, pain is growth, break them down” (scary right? lol).
- Stoke the fire - the log portion of the class, where you have students hold poses for extended periods of time. This is meant to take you to your edge, the true test of equanimity.
- Utilize the fire - bringing yourself back to who you are, “recollecting yourself to surrender”.
- Surrender (my personal favorite) - shavasana, lying meditation. After a hard work out, this is the best thing in the world!
I’m actually very excited for this style of teaching, I’ve gotten some of my best work outs doing this style of Yoga! I can’t wait to show you some flows in the near future. In the mean time, enjoy a short video of me practicing "pikes" while in head stand :D